Tuesday, November 4, 2008

How an Obama administration will affect me

Yes, you're reading it right. I also have some point of view on politics. This issue is appropriate as it would appear that Mr. Obama is winning. Let me point out though that I am a McCain supporter. Although I am not a US citizen, ergo not a voter, I had been thinking how the outcome of the 2008 US presidential elections will affect me. After all, news on this matter is clogging my homepage and I had been getting emails about it so in a way, it already has affected me. Much to my chagrin.

First off, war in Iraq would end. Obama has always opposed the policies of the incumbent Bush on Iraq and has proposed a redeployment of US troops stationed there. I think this is the single biggest issue that affects the rest of the world as this would stabilize oil prices coming from the Middle East. Do note that the reason for invasion of Iraq was to disarm it of its alleged weapons of mass destruction, though none had been found there. Legality of this invasion has been questioned thus affects all peace-loving countries. I believe that Obama's stand on the Iraq policy could be the reason why he is popular even abroad. If a country suddenly decides to declare war against another, I have every reason to be concerned as that other country could be mine.

Next is his immigration policies. He has supported immigration policy reforms and is in favor of improving the US visa programs. He believes in earned pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants and in fact has supported granting driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. This would in turn create more job opportunities for those immigrants and help their respective families, both in and out of the US. More talent will pour into the US as immigration policies become more clear-cut and comprehensive, but I doubt if this is for the good of the country being left by the talent. The reason I am hesitant to migrate to the US is because of its long and burdensome immigration rules - crap that I don't need. If these rules change for the better, I might think about migrating there. For now, I am happy where I am.

As regard his foreign trade policies, nothing new there. Same old US policy on fair trade which is really not fair at all. What caught my eye as I was browsing through his website was his policy on trade bulleted as: End Tax Breaks for Companies that Send Jobs Overseas. We know that Asia has been tapped by American giants such as Nike and the US I.T. industry for cheap labor. And we know how those companies are capitalizing on lower wages abroad. Obama does not believe in tax deductions for those companies moving their operations overseas. How it will affect these Asian countries remains to be seen in the long run. Having been employed by one of those companies that outsourced its employees, I know how such US investments had helped generate thousands of jobs and if pulled out, would create a sudden rise in the unemployment rate in these countries.

Since official results are not yet completed, lets wait in joyful hope that this time around, American policies could bring about real change as promised by both major candidates. Either way, whoever wins will inherit a global financial crisis on his hands and an unpopular war to boot. All I can say is, good luck with your new job, Mr. President.

No comments: