Thursday, November 6, 2008

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa


I'm quite excited about the upcoming sequel of DreamWorks animated film Madagascar, set to be released anytime this month (07 Nov in the US). Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa picks up where the first one left off, where everybody was trying to get back to New York. The four main characters Alex the Lion (Ben Stiller), Marty the Zebra (Chris Rock), Melman the Giraffe (David Schwimmer) and Gloria the Hippo (Jada Pinkett Smith) are back, together with the penguins and the lemurs from the first film. This time, they will find themselves in Africa - where they were supposed to be shipped to in the first place - and encounter species of their own kind for the very first time

My favorite character was the hypochondriac Melman the Giraffe voiced by David Schwimmer. And the penguins. I was so lol during that scene when the four penguins successfully escape to Antarctica and found it to suck, and left after being there for a few moments. Although one can't help but be reminded of Ross from Friends hearing David's voice and all that, but in all fairness, I think that's what his character is all about. It was so funny when he dug up his own grave and wrote his last will and testament on the sand, only to be washed away by the waves.

I don't know why critics didn't love it the way I did. It was fresh, funny and produced great visuals. Moreover, the characters were cute without being cheesy. True, it may not be the Shrek that everybody's so crazy about, but it can't be all Shrek all the time. Somebody's gotta think up of new storylines and I believe that DreamWorks delivered.

So I'm heading down to the movies to catch their Escape 2 Africa. I saw the trailers and the scene alone where they were crashing and King Julien said it was more fun when you raise your hands is enough to make me wanna watch it.

No comments: