Tuesday, November 4, 2008

iOwn iPhone


After crossing over from PC to Mac a few months back, I now officially consider myself an Apple whore. So when a telcom here carried the 3G version of the iPhone, of course I had to have it. I haven't had the chance to get the iPhone when it was originally released since it was only available in the US then. I didn't want to get a jailbroken device because 1. its illegal 2. price was absurd 3. no warranty and 4. lack of features. Steve Jobs promised a load of new features with the 3G iPhone and price was lower than the previous gen, plus many of my friends were getting one (or two, as the case may be) so ok, Im getting one. Im still keeping my Sony Ericsson though.

This is not a geek review since I would have no authority to discuss geek stuff. I'd rather talk about how it feels holding it and the overall experience I've had since I got it. First on the list is the price. I don't have a problem signing up for a 2-year plan just to get it. What many people have an issue with is the price of the plan itself since in the long run, they say it is expensive. There is no denying that. The iPhone is not really for the mass market, I think, in spite of its lower price compared to other similar devices. Just a year ago, the Nokia N95 was double the price of the iPhone, at the same plan. Its just that you can also get a Nokia phone without being forced to sign up for a 2-year plan. Oh well.

The iPhone 3G's design is flawless. The curves on its sides are giving the impression that its thinner than it actually is. Its not heavy and the size fits perfectly in my hands. What can I say, Apple has mastered the art in designing its products. The screen resolution is amazing. I have already watched several Youtube videos and it delivered the quality I was expecting. The full multi-touch screen can be quite unnerving for those not used to it, but its pretty much straightforward. Push the screen up if you want it to go up and vice versa. Zoom in or zoom out by either spreading two fingers across the screen or pinching them back. Besides, I've been known to lose stylus pens in the past so this is a welcome change for me. Sending SMS can be a challenge though. The keys may be larger than the previous generation iPhone, but its not for Edward. The predictive text input is not helping at all and is rather annoying. Im not sure yet how to turn it off, but I don't think there's an option for that.

Perhaps the best thing about the iPhone 3G is the third-party applications. If only I can get them. It appears that before any application can be downloaded, you have to have an iTunes account first, which means you have to register and give your credit card information to them. Even if you are downloading a free application. Yes, even if its free. I have no intention of giving any such information to them. So Im stuck with my iPhone without any cool applications in it.

Overall, its a great device and a cool-looking phone. It's a must-have for me, but still I'm keeping my Sony Ericsson with me.

No comments: